What causes swollen lips while having sinusitis?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a sinus problem that blocked my ear...then started draining into my mouth and irritated my gums, then having a fever blister In the corner of my lips...my sinus have cleared up, my gums are back to normal. I woke up with swollen lips...like over Botoxed lips, and the fever blisters are draining.

I have a sinus problem that had blocked my ear, and then draining into my mouth, swelling my gums. then along with all this mess I developed a fever blister on my lip. My ear and sinus' are pretty clear now, and the swelling of my gums have gone done. All that was left was my lips..I have been using Abreva on the affected area.
Today I woke up with by lips swollen and sore, and fever blisters are oozing.
What can I do??
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be due to allergic reaction. Taking antihistamines like cetrizine ( zyrtec ) once daily will be helpful. You can also apply corticosteroid creams like cortisone 1. These are available as over the counter.

If it is persisting then infection can be present and antibiotic will be needed. I would suggest antibiotics like Azithromycin ( z pack ) in such case. This is given 500 mg once daily for 3 to 5 days. This is a prescription drug and you need to consult your General Practitioner for it.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar