What causes swollen lip and cheek?

Dermatologist
Question
Yes. My top lip began to swell and now it is huge. In addition My cheek are swollen and I look like a squirrel who has his cheeks filled with nuts particularly on the left side. It hurts very much to be in this condition. Iceing it brought about some relief. What do you thiink. I am 67 years old. Quit smoking age 40 and do not drink.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to find out cause, allergy or infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

From the description, it looks like either you have developed a severe allergic reaction or it is a severe localised infection. Either of these can occur either after an isolated superficial skin infection like a pustule or maybe you had something like an insect bite.
In either case, a direct assessment would be necessary to find out the exact cause.
For the the being, I would advise you to apply local ice to the area. Take regular benadryl and paracetamol . This will act in bringing down both the allergy as well as the inflammation .
Depending upon the cause of swelling, you might need to be started of oral antibiotics or steroids.
Do not apply any other cream or oil locally to the area.

Were you recently on any drugs in the form of pain killers or antibiotics? Or do you suspect any insect bite or if you have any dental infection. Your doctor might try to find out the cause of such an acute swelling.

Dr Geetika Paul
I