• question-icon

What causes swollen legs despite having normal cortisone levels?

Posted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am almost 50 years old living in Asia. I have a pituitary gland tumor and an adrenal gland tumor and I had Cushings Disease, but now the Cushings is gone as my cortisone level have been normal recently. I have been having strange symptoms recently and I'm not sure what is wrong, but I think something is going on. Here is what I have been experiencing:
1) My legs started swelling up a few times - just out of the blue. Once, it even turned purple/black. The swelling fluctuates.
2) I have gained a lot of weight in a short time. Like 2 dress sizes and I eat very healthy and I don't eat much at all.
3) I feel very bloated and am full of gas all the time.
4) Today, after going to the bathroom, there was this brown, gooey, mucus discharge in large gunks in my stool.
Please help!!
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cushing's recurrence to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Good day,'
Noted your concern. If I got right, you have swelling in both legs ( not just in one leg). I would like to rule out recurrence of Cushing's disease particularly with the symptoms of weight gain and swelling in legs. I know that you have been told that Cushing's disease is cured. But unfortunately, in many patients it can return. What kind of treatment was done for the pituitary and adrenal tumors?

Noted the MRI scan and there are no evidence of deep vein thrombosis and no other cause for leg swelling.
Please request your doctors to do tests to rule out recurrence of Cushing's disease. You should also try to get a thyroid blood test.
Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 31 minutes later
Could it be ovarian cancer as the symptoms seem to fit.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms do not fit except fullness in abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Why would you think of ovarian cancer!!!. Your doctor would have done an ultrasound scan of abdomen and pelvis by now which can look at the ovary too.

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist