What causes swollen knees in children?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My grandson is 12 years old. Apparently in perfect health. Yesterday he developed swollen knees which are the same this morning. Any thoughts on this?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Is he having any other joint involvement?

Any fever, burning sensation on passing urine, sure pain or sensitivity to light ?

It is possible that your son may be having a firm of inflammatory arthritis, more commonly Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis.

He needs to apply warm packs to both the knees for relief. Take pain killer like Tablet Ibuprofen 200mg twice a day if there is pain. Keep the limbs elevated.

He needs a series of tests like Serum Rheumatoid factor, CRP, ESR, Complete blood count AntiCCP, ASLO titre, ANA etc.

Also Xrays of the knee joint will be helpful to clarify the type of certain specific arthritis.

Kindly answer the above mentioned questions for me to be in a better position to help.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj