What causes swollen foot after an injury?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi, I cut my ankle on a piece of glass about 4 days ago. The wound is about an inch long and less than 1/4 in. deep. It's not bleeding or painful or red but my foot has been swollen and tingly all day...should I be worried?
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The wound looks fine. No infection is present and its healing correctly. Tingling can be present as in this location small nerve passes and you could hurt it with this cut.
Foot should not be swollen. Can you please attach a photo of both feet (swollen foot should be compared to the other one). If its only minor swelling without pain and redness, this is nothing you should be worried. Please try to hold this leg raised when lying down (put a pillow under it), this should help with the swelling.

However if you have any calf pain, foot redness, hardness and pain, you should consult a surgeon.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.