Owl Image

What causes swollen feet?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My feet are extremely swollen. The skin is very tight and white when touched. What could be the cause of this?
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Swelling of the feet is called pedal edema and is caused by accumulation of an excessive amount of watery fluid in cells or intercellular tissues. It can be due to cellulitis, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, arthritis, high altitude (less likely from your location), high salt intake and any blood clot in the veins causing DVT. Are you taking some medicines like laxatives? Abusing these can also cause bilateral pedal edema.
I suggest you an immediate physician consultation. You need to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO, venous Doppler of the legs and urine tests done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes swollen feet? 4 hours later
I am prescribed 100 milligrams of methadone daily. Could the swelling be a side effect from the medicine? The methadone makes me crave ice cream. I have been eating at large amount of ice cream in the last 4 months that I've been on methadone. Is it possible that all the ice cream I've been eating be causing the swelling?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not due to these.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Ice cream and methadone are not likely to cause such a prominent swelling in the feet. It is best to consult a physician and get all the investigations done to rule out the organic causes.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes swollen feet? 36 minutes later
thank woven the advice on swelling. I will visit my pcp soon. The methadone makes me sleepy,crave sweets and have nightmares. Is there anything I can do to stop the nightmares?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
usual side effects.

Detailed Answer:
These are the usual side effects of methadone. You can take a mild sedative to stop the nightmares after consulting your physician.
Regards.