question-icon

What causes swollen feet and hands, accompanied by pain in the legs?

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: Hi For the last couple of days my legs have been hurting real bad when I walk. My feet are swelled up, my hands and fingers are swollen. Today i feel very nauceous and shaky. what can this be?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
need some details to guide you better

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. There could be a number of causes for your complaint. I would be in a better position to guide you anything if you answer foLlowing questions pleasE:

1. do you have diabetes, hypertension or any other illness?
2. are you on any medication?
3. does swelling resolve with time or is persistent?
4. how good is your appetite now a days?
5. have you observed yellow discoloration of eyes or skin?
6. is there any prominence of leg veins as well? IF yes then share an image

I will be looking forward for the answers to conclude the discussion in the best interest of yours.
Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf (5 minutes later)
I have not been diagnosed with diabetes. The feet started to sweell just a couple days ago, but when I walked my feet and legs would hurt and get tired. I have gained weight 20 lbs in 2-3 months. i use to be on a hypertension medication a year ago but have not taken it since then. The swelling is starting to go down slowly. since yesterday ii do not feel like eating much. i have seen no discoloration iin my eyes or skin. no leg veins are showing.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
needs further workup; visit hospital for "Consultant Medical Specialist"

Detailed Answer:
hello

thank you for getting back with the answers. There could be a number of causes for your complaint including hepatic & cardiac causes . We need to go with further workup to rule out the exact cause. This workup would require you to visit hospital & get an appointment for a "Consultant Medical Specialist". He will examine the edema site and will a advise some investigations like CBC, Serum albumin levels, LFTs, ECG, etc. Further management will depend upon the lab results.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf