What causes swollen face post ear infection treatment?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: i have had an ear infection for months now that antobiotics have not resolved. also along with this i have alot of face swelling in the lower part of my face and around my mouth. is there a connection? i am miserable
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get an ear swab sent for bacterial culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

2. It is possible, that you may also have a fungal infection, ear wax buildup or an ear drum perforation. Get your ears examined by an otoscope.

3. If the swelling in the lower part of the face and mouth is on the same side as the ear infection, it may be due to spread of the infection along the lymphatics. The other possibility is as similar infection in the mouth.

4. Nutritional deficiencies may also cause such symptoms. A close-up image will help.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.