Owl Image

What causes swollen face after root canal treatment?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Had severe pain on the front two teet ( the bunny rabbit teeth) which was broken since last 3 years.went to a dentist and did RCT for both the teeth to drain out the pus/infection. The pain subsided,but my Face is getting swollen more,more than yesterday. I am takign Antibiotic - Novoclox,500mg.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
please meet your dentist again!!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

The swelling on the face can be due to two reasons

The first one may be due to a part of the healing process and will come down in 2-3 days , there will be little or no pain and skin over the face will be normal.

The secnd reason ,which is a cause of concern may due to spread of the infection from the teeth to the skin and tissues of the face, this can be dangerous and will be associated with increased pain , fever and the skin over the swelling will become red ,warm and tense.

Please continue your antibiotic and meet your denist for an examination and further advice.

Take care!