Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

What causes swollen eyelid that has a purple mark on it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
I have a swollen eyelid that has a purple mark on it
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: SWELLING OF EYELID IS SEEN IN VARIETY OFCONDITIONS Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having swollen eye lid with a purple mark on it. Swelling of the eye lids is present in variety of conditions like following injury, in inflammatory conditions and the treatment depends on the cause. Hence Please do mention whether it is localized swelling or diffused swelling? Whether it is painful or painless? Whether it is associated with redness of eyes? Whether there was any history of injury? If possible you can send a photo of the affected eye so that I can advice you more accurately. Thank you Dr. Dadapeer K
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes swollen eyelid that has a purple mark on it? 59 minutes later
It come with every period i have.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This is bleeding related to menstruation. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the follow up query. I went through the follow up question and the photograph which you have sent along with the question. The lesion you are having is because of collection of blood under the skin of the eye lids and it is called as ecchymosis of eye lids. Ecchymosis of eye lids during menstruation/periods is a relatively rare but seen commonly in clinical practice. It is because of hormonal changes during menstruation. The condition does not require treatment other than cold compress for the swelling. It should disappear within one week. If you are bleeding from other sites like nose then it requires consultation with your Gynecologist doctor for treatment. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor