What causes swollen eye lids while using Prednisolone eye drops for uveitis?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have a 6 year history of uveitis in my left eye with no known cause. Was taking prednisolone eyedrops and brimonidine eyedrops for the inflammation daily.
Last year i needed an IO implant because long term use of the drops caused a cataract.
I have this problem with a swollen eyelid now. My eye swells half shut. My opthmologist has no idea why other than dry eye. I use the lubricant drops but it doesnt help.
Could i have something more serious going on? Even the vein on my upper lid is very prominant.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antimetabolites

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
You have to ascertain if there is no active inflammation. This will be decided by your doctors after thorough examination. There are alternatives n the form of antimetabolites available to use. We have such patients who are on antimetabolites for 10years and are well controlled.
On your next visit do ask your consultant about antimetabolites as they have to be given under guidance.
I am sure that you are seeing well with this eye. If not then this will be pointer to active inflammation as there is no redness in the photograph which you sent.

In the meanwhile continue with medication and do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
What are antimetabllites? And what could cause this? She says there is only a few cells ao the inflammation is tamed down.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Inflammation still present

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
Anti metabolites are drugs which inhibit the growth of cells.Prolonged exposure to steroids has it's own complications as you have seen. In such cases we use anti metabolites and they are very effective.
As few cells are still present, inflammation is still present and can always increase. In my practice, I always start methotrexate in such patients with a watch on blood profile.
Consult your doctor about this and he may start a new line of treatment.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak