What causes swollen ear and hurting jaw?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. I am 24 year old girl but i am having trouble with my one ear....it's swollen and it makes buzzing sounds. Because of this when i open my mouth my jaw hurts and also i am having diffculty sleeping. THIS EAr problem already happen before one time but it was okay that time. Now i am having cold too.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Common cold symptoms... Detailed Answer: Hi, Can you please specify the exact place where it is swollen: - is it in front of the ear (the area of parotid gland)? - or nearby/behind the ear? Feeling your jaw hurting while you open your mouth and buzzing sounds is related to inflammation of upper respiratory tract (nose, ear, Eustachian tube) due to cold. I advise to use nasal saline spray and anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc.). If you are having high fever, should consult your physician as soon as possible as you might need to start oral antibiotics/antivirals together with ear drops based on physical examination. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Albana