What causes swollen carotid artery in neck?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I recently noticed my right sided carotid artery in my neck feels swollen, or at least larger than my left
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
color doppler and angiography

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Carotid artery is very important artery as it supplies the brain and any problem with it can cause very serious side effects.
Hence it is imperative that once you have doubt or is actually a problem in the carotid/s, you should go for the following:
Clinical evaluation ,examination and further investigations:
Ultrasonography and color doppler examination can see the changes in real-time hence can understand the dynamics, see for the size, contractibility , any compressing factor from within, in the wall or outside of it.
Since it has the limitation of doing only that part which is in the neck, additional study in can be done by MRI Angiography.

These things will help to know whether there is any problem, if present - the nature of it.
If a positive finding, then the plan for further management.

I hope this answer helps you for an early diagnosis and further treatment, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is gap of communication.