What causes swollen bump on thumb after an injury?

Excellent

Question
right side of left thumb.. I hit slightly twice while working... a small swelling bump occurred wont go down after 3 weeks still tender to touch...its right between both knuckles ... on the side / top of left thumb
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hematoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Your symptoms are suggestive if hematoma ( collection of blood in muscular layer) It takes longer time to resolve. At your stage slow exercise to thumb and warm compression do help to resolve swelling. ultrasound treatment also helps to reduce swelling.

If there are any changes on overlying skin, it needs to be examined for infection. In that case needs antibiotic treatment.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.

Follow-up: What causes swollen bump on thumb after an injury? 24 hours later
thank you that seems exactly right.... im curious as to how long it can take to heal? and will it or "should" it heal ie tenderness and bump go away ... if it is a slight hematoma as you say.. ty

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
With in a week or 2week

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for follow up.

With movement exercise and warm compression swelling should reduce in a week or 2. Better to take antibiotic to prevent infection of collected blood.