What causes swollen boil on buttocks?

General Surgeon
Question

I've a boil on the left side of my buttcrack for the last three days. I tried to squeeze it last night and it's since swelled up a bit and is extremely painful. Can you please advise what is the best course of action?
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs drainage under antibiotic cover

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

That boil has increased in size due to incomplete drainage.

The best thing to do will be to show it to a surgeon and get it drained completely under antibiotics cover.

Till then you may take painkillers for symptomatic relief.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Follow-up: What causes swollen boil on buttocks? 32 minutes later
Can it heal on its own without being drained as such? I'm not too keen on get it manually drained as that may result in recurrences or scars? Can't it pop on its own and dry out? Should I keep applying some medicine for one or two more days and take painkillers before going to the doctor?

It's getting ripper today and may pop on itself soon. Please advise?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
take antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

In that case you need to take antibiotics along with painkillers. Antibiotics will help in early ripening and spread of infection.

But again for this you need to see a local doctor as all antibiotics are prescription drugs.

Dr. Ashish Verma