What causes swollen bi-lateral ankles, feet and skin tightness?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have swollen bi-lateral ankles and feet. Condition arose all of a sudden. I have had this for three weeks with no changes. No discoloration. Skin feels tight. Recent physical showed no problems. Recently changed blood pressure medicine. I am 74 with little time on feet-one walk a day. I am in a remote location with no regular doctors. Should I visit a doctor or hospital or have lab test? Do have near by lab.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it is important to perform a differential clinical diagnosis between different causes that may lead to your symptoms:

- fluid retention ( related to heart failure, kidney or liver dysfunction)
- drug adverse effects. Especially if you have taken a calcium channel blocker ( nifedipine, amlodipine, felodipine, etc), they are known to cause leg swelling as a known adverse effect.

For this reason, if you are not taking a calcium channel blocker, you should consult with your doctor and perform further tests to investigate for the possible cause:

- a cardiac ultrasound
- liver and kidney function tests
- an urine analysis.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri