What causes swollen ankles while on Benazepril hydrochloride?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: my husband takes benzepril HCL 40 mg. His ankels are very swollen. I gave him one of my 20 mg furosemide tabs to see if the swelling would go down some. Is there any danger in using this drug with his. He is going to the doctor on tuesday.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Furosemide, to be used after consulting your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Furosemide is a diuretic drug. It can work in reducing fluid overload by decreasing preload and increasing diuresis. However, it can also lead to renal dysfunction. Furthermore, the cause for the swelling of the ankles need to be determined to be due to fluid overload. It can also lead to dehydration and hypotension. Furosemide at 20 mg dose is low dose but still keeping in mind the bladder cancer history , self medication should be avoided and a doctor should be consulted before taking such medication.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil