question-icon

What causes swollen ankles in an asthma patient while treating hypertension?

Posted on Fri, 6 May 2016
Question: This morning, I've noticed that my ankles a swollen. I'm 72 and have asthma for which I take medications. I have mild hypertension and take 1/2 of a water pill each morning and this has kept my blood pressure under control. What are the possibilities?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
kidney, heart,, too much salt

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
It sounds like you are very healthy.
The biggest concerns for swollen ankles are kidney or heart problems. You should check with your doctor soon and let them examine you and do some blood testing.
It is also possible that you had some food yesterday that gave you too much of a salt load. Also taking anti-inflamatory medications like ibuprofen can cause salt retention and end up causing swelling.
If you have other symptoms like chest pain or shortness of breath then you should be soon immediately.
Best regards
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson