• question-icon

What causes swollen ankles and tingling sensation in the sloes of the feet?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm a 67 year old male. Lately my ankles have swollen and the bottom of my feet tingle. Is this a weak heart
sympton? I walk 2 miles everyday, and I want keep it up. My Doctor prescribed Gabapentin 100MG and it helps with the tingling a bit but not with the swelling. Tests indicate that I am not diabetic. Should I quit walking or is it diet. I've tried vinegar and water. My mother retained water and she drank that. Ohhh.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly refer to detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you i can understand your concern and i would like to tell you that swelling in the feet could be to few reasons, here i will list few important ones:

1. Impaired heart function (impending heart failure).
2. Kidney dysfunction
3. Albumin loss/deficiency

For the evaluation of cardiac function you need to get an ECG and an Echocardiography done to make sure the function of heart is alright and there is no significant valve leakage.

For kidney function you need to get renal ultrasound and some blood tests done for evaluation.

And for evaluation of albumin serum albumin needs to be checked.

I hope this information will be helpful. You can also discuss the same with your doctor.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
I live in Hawaii on the Island of Hawaii. If you have a heart attack here , you are flown to Honolulu- not good. What is the best city or place in the USA or Europe to live in if you are have an impending heart failure?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
I think most of the cities of Europe or USA have good healthcare facilities and the decision depends on where you feel comfortable and also the finances/budgets for living in a good metro cities.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist