What causes swollen and split lip having yellow discharge?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Well a two days ago I went to a concert and took hit to the lip. It hurt a tiny but but I wasn't bothered by it.

Yesterday went by without any incident. I felt completely fine outside of the soreness that comes from going to a punk concert.

Today I woke up to a swollen lip that was split open and that was having some yellow discharge. I'm freaking out now and hope it's just a bacterial infection. I think I can see yellow dots but I'm unsure. There's no pain at all. Even when touched. I've been icing it to take away from the swelling and have some antibiotics that I'll be taking as well.

I went to a doctor but he thinks it's a cold sore. I've never had one before and the doctor just looked at me for roughly 15 seconds before leaving.

Facts about me:
I'm 23.
A male.
I'm straight edge so that means I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, or engage in promiscuous sex.
I'm single and have been for months now.
STD free. As was my previous partner.
I work in a meat cutting room so there's always raw meat and seafood touching my hands and such.
I bite my lips a lot. Inside and outside. It's a nervous tick for me.

Please, give me good news. I
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics and supportive. SOS suturing

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
You have rightly noticed that this has happened die to an infection. The hit to the lip which looked small, was not that much tiny that you thought. The hematoma got infected to give up a small bridge to open up to form a split.

Your history about other side of life explains that this has nothing to do with STD.
And you already have another reason- the nervous tick to bite the lip.

Take an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicines. Watch for a few days. Once the infection is under control and if the wound is not healing properly and fast, you may go for a secondary suturing to avoid a bad disfigurement.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Should I worry about the swollen lymph glands in my neck? It's on the same side as the cut and that's really the only pain.

I've been icing it and I recently put some hydrocortizone cream on it to hopefully kill whatever may be in there. I had a strong filling that it was an infection. Especially since it sprung it over night. And even all the research online has said it's an infection.

Thank you, Doctor. When the ER Doctor I saw told me a cold sore, I just about broke down in tears. Like I said, I never had a cold sore ever. No one I know gets them and it just didn't make sense to me.

Thank you again. I'm off to take my Amoxicillin now.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Add an anti-inflammatory medicine too.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, I can understand what you mean by.
The neck glands again indicate an infection. They should settle with Amoxicillin in appropriate dosage. Add on an anti-inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen if this suits you.

Icing may not have any effect now and please never apply hydrocortisone to such wounds, it is not needed and may harm by forming a layer and giving a chance for other bacteria to propagate.

This is an infection.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 44 hours later
Just a follow up..

Asked the Pharmacist at my work and even he told me it's an infection and recommend that I go to a different doctor before it gets worse.

I did. Turns out its something called Impetigo? I guess it looks just like cold sores but isn't viral. So now I'm taking Bactrin and Bactroban.

The swelling is almost gone and the wound is starting to heal nicely. That Bactroban cream works wonders.

Thank you for everything, Dr. Chandrakant.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Great to know.

Detailed Answer:
This is a great news, just continue the medicines till it is completely healed.
Thanks for your feedback.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj