Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

What causes swollen and painful nodes and joints after wearing new dentures?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10351 Questions
I am a celiac and recently needed to get upper and lower dentures. (about a year ago) I have been also dealing with swollen lymphnodes for about a year and a half. I am due to get my new and final set of dentures anytime now so the current ones are very ill fitting. I have been getting strange symptoms - swollen and painful nodes, increased fatigue, painful burning sensations, stiffness and pain in my joints. I have noticed that when I don't wear my dentures I am feeling a little better as time goes on. Is there something to this? are my dentures not gluten free? or am I just crazy. I am currently under a physicians care and will be getting more labs done shortly ANA, sed rate and vitamin d level.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not related to dentures. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms that you are having are not likely to be related to your ill fitting dentures. This can happen with a new set of dentures or chronic infections. The dentures are gluten free. You can make sure to use a gluten free denture cleaner. The causes for your symptoms can be generalized viral infection; osteoarthritis; vitamin D3 or calcium deficiency; inflammatory diseases like SLE, ms, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like- 1. Serum calcium levels. 2. Serum Uric acid levels. 3. RA factor 4. ESR and CRP 5. Serum Creatinine 6. X-ray of affected joints. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor