What causes swollen and painful finger joints?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Swelling and painful finger joints, worse right index first joint near fingernail which looks like a pimple and discharges clear sticky fluid if pressure is put on it. GP called these heberden nodes, what can be done to relieve or cure
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigations done.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

Although your GP has diagnosed it to be heberden nodes, but I still want to confirm it.

You should know that swelling finger joints are due to many reasons so I want you to get xray of both hands in AP and Oblique view, serum uric acid levels, serum, RA factor quantitative, E.SR, C.R.P, fasting blood sugar levels checked and send me the report.

You should know that heberden nodes are a sign of osteoarthritis and are caused by formation of osteophytes i.e calcific spurs of the articular (joint) cartilage in response to repeated trauma at the joint. Discharge is usually not seen in that condition.

After seeing the report I will be able to get your diagnosis.

Till then you can in addition to above medication may take ibuprofen when pain occurs.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.