What causes swollen and painful feet?

Posted on Fri, 21 Oct 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What can cause swollen painful feet?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to increased uric acid or inflammatory disorders

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if you are suffering from increased uric acid or gout as is evident by the drug history you have shared. Deposition of uric acid crystals in feet can cause these symptoms and fresh uric acid levels and Xrays to look for tophi of these crystals in feet should be considered. Other possibilities like local inflammations like cellulitis or even blood circulation issues should be ruled out at doppler ultrasound studies and careful feet examination to look for pulses and blood flow as well as areas of inflammation. Since its painful, so other causes of feet inflammation or edema which is painless may be considered at last. Meanwhile keep using OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or the drugs you have been prescribed earlier. Avoid using red meats, pulses and green leafy vegetables frequently and keep fluids and water intake optimal. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin