What causes swollen and discoloured toenail?
Rheumatologic disease, gout, infection,foot care
Hi and Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for the query.
I think the opinion of a rheumatologist is important. It is true that some rare forms of rheumatoid arthritis could present as such. Gout arthritis still remains an option to be considered as some people could develop gout even with normal blood uric acid levels.
A chronic infection like fungal or slow growing bacteria must be carefully checked and excluded during the evaluation process. In case a rheumatological evaluation remains clear , seeing a dermatologist for his opinion might be useful. Avoiding tight shoes and proper foot hygeine for now are important .
Thanks and kind regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes brittle and crumbly toenails are
- What can cause tissue overlap on my toenail
- What causes thick skin formation under the toenails
- What causes bleeding under toenails
- What causes soft toenails
- What causes toenail fungus
- What causes black toenails
- What causes ski jump toenails
- What could cause recurring ingrowth of toenails that hurts
- What causes unexplained brusing on toenails