What causes swelling,tightness and heaviness in arm with shoulder pain?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Right arm more swollen than left, feels heavy and tight. worse in hot humid summer & when my shoulders/neck/upper back hurt fm working at computer. So it's pretty bad this summer as I've been working a lot and it's hot out.

i had crossfit-induced rhabdomyolysis in r. arm 3 yrs ago. i've seen doctors who have told me that it's normal for my right arm to be bigger as it's my dominant hand, but the skin feels tight/tingy and the flesh feels a lot less supple than my left arm. you can barely see the tendons in my right hand too!

i'm frustrated that i keep getting written off.

could it be lymphedema? or dvt?? it's more swollen all the way up to my shoulder (at upper arm it is 1 inch bigger than my other arm)! my fingers are more swollen too, even my pinkie.

i'm at my wit's end.

thank you in advance for your help!
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
venous congestion due to venous out flow obstructi

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

I could think of two possibilities as the possible cause for the symptoms
1 this can be venous congestion due to venous out flow obstruction.
This can be confirmed by Arterio venous colour Doppler of whole upper extremity.
Possibility of lymphedema is less likely as per your clinical photo there is increased redness also along with swelling.
In lymphedema pitting edema will be seen.
Possibility of DVT will be ruled out after colour Doppler.
2. Another possibility of sympathetic changes due to old rhabdomyolysis.
EMG NCV study with clinical examination will help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Dr XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 44 minutes later
Thank you so much. What kind of doctor do you suggest that I see for this kind of thing?
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

I will advise you to consult vascular specialist doctor or neurophysician to confirm diagnosis.

Dr XXXXXXX