What causes swellings on back of head in a toddler?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jul 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son is 24 months old and a part of his head (precisely at the back just started swelling yesterday ,I thought he probably fell and hit his head but apparently the bump is getting bigger . What could it be?I palpated but he does not feel any pain
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More information needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I understand your concerns but there can be various causes of such type of swellings on back of head in a toddler.

It may be an occult bleed from capillaries within the scalp or periosteum of skull, developing abscess, enlarging lymph node, or some other thing.

I would be able to help you in a better way for the treatment it you provide me following informations:

1. The size, shape, proper position ( midline or side) and consistency of the swelling.
2. Any other associated symptoms such as unhealthy scalp, similar swelling on any other parts, fever, lethargy, irritability, bruising tendency.
3. Any significant past history or his medication history.
4. Any family history of bleeding disorders.
5. Also post me some photos of the swelling if possible.

Don't worry. I will help you with the definitive diagnosis and treatment accordingly once you provide me these information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 4 hours later
Image Attached.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seems to be due to a soft tissue swelling

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back

I saw the picture sent by you. It seems to be due to a soft tissue swelling most likely an occult bleed or localized inflammation. To come to a definitive answer I would recommend the following:

1. Laboratory tests i.e complete blood count and bleeding profile to know the cause of bleeding if not trauma. Many a times children with hemophilia can present with spontaneous bleeds like this.
2.An ultrasound local part of skull and X Ray skull to rule out abscess and check for bleed or any other cause of the swelling.

You may upload all these reports for my consideration.

In the meantime, you can give him acetaminophen for pain relief if it's present and local ice application.
I won't recommend any other drugs till the reports come.
Take care and contact me with the reports.
Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician