What causes swelling, pain and difficulty in swallowing after wisdom teeth removal?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Hi is it normal after having your wisdom teeth out for 4 days that one side is still swollen and its hurts to swallow even when you have been following all the directions you got
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post extraction inflammatory swelling, pain, damaged lymphatics, medication

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the swelling, pain and difficulty in swallowing following removal of wisdom teeth is concerned, I have the following possibilities.
It can be because of the bone cutting done during surgical removal of wisdom tooth that results in inflammatory swelling and pain. This will come down in 5 days duration.
The other possible cause can be damage to lymphatics during removal of wisdom teeth. The function of these lymphatics is to remove the excess fluid from the body. So these lymphatics will take 3-4days to recover. After that the swelling comes down.
Nothing to be panic, the pain and swelling is common following wisdom tooth removal. You will be fine by 5-6 days. You can take a metronidazole along with penicillin and you can take an analgesic like diclofenac with anti inflammatory drugs like serratiopeptidase (if you are not allergic to these drugs). Do saline gargling.
I hope i have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 27 minutes later
Thank you and do you think it would be a good idea to go to the dentist just to get it looked at and checked out
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
consult your dentist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I would suggest you to consult your dentist and get it reviewed. You can get the surgical site irrigated.
I hope I have answered your query. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 25 hours later
Is it normal if you get all 4 of your wisdom teeth out and just one side of your face is swollen but it doesn't hurt at all or is it a sign of infection?
And its been 5 days
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
inflammatory swelling, not infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
It is not necessary that all four sides should develop swelling. It is quite common to develop the swelling soon after getting the wisdom teeth removed. Particularly it depends on the amount of bone removed and the damage to so tissues like lymphatic. It is not infection. If infection is present you will have severe pain.As per your history it is not infection. Nothing to worry it will come down in 3-5 days. If you still have doubt then consult your oral physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery