• question-icon

What causes swelling, pain and bruising in the legs?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: My wife's left leg has several problems. The skin on her legs shows black blotching. She is am a double knee replacement, her left knee became infected and went thru the spacer, antibiotic/treatment/re/replacement, with apparent success but a year later after a cosmetic surgery on that leg, the infection returned. Also during recovery a surface arterial clot was found that may not have been related to that surgery but was resolved with an Eliquise regimen. She has been and continues on 500 mg of Levofloxen for the infection, as the orthopedic surgeon hesitates to go thru the spacer regimen with out a good chance that the knee can again be reinstalled. The Levofloxen may be the cause of the blackening after a dermalogical lab test. Recently I have developed a hematoma in that leg below the knee with swelling down the leg and foot. Hematology doctor advised RICE, which we are following. Several sonograms were done with no sign of any float in the leg. Is ther some other avenues to follow? A culture of the hematoma fluid/blood gel shows the above bacteria to still be present. After conversation orthopedist is upping Levofloxen to 700 mg. Is there another antibiotic that maybe more effective? Sorry I don't have the bacteriology name.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Imipenem and piperacillin can help.

Detailed Answer:
The presence of swelling pain and hematoma all go in favor of infection. Since the blood showed an infection this needs a combination of antibiotics to take care of the infection. The best way is to get a culture sensitivity test done to find out the best antibiotic for you. Adding imipenem or piperacillin can help in controlling such persistent infections. The blackening of skin is worrisome and in case it spreads then rigorous i.v. antibiotics may be needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon