What causes swelling over the nasal septum post snorting?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: JUST WANTED TO ASK HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE SWOLLEN NOSTRILLS TO GO AWAY AFTER STOPPING SNORTING COCAINE.I HAVE STOPPED NOW FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS.HOWEVER I HAVE SNORTED CLONAZAPAM SEVERAL TIMES.WILL I NEED AN ANTI BIOTIC MEDICATION TO BRING DOWN SWELLING.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The swelling will remain for a while due to fibrosis of the nasal mucosa...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The swelling over the nasal septum post snorting would remain for a while due to the presence of fibrosis. Fibrosis is a condition wherein the soft layer of the nasal mucosa gets hardened due to repeated trauma of that area.

I don’t think so you would require antibiotics. Antibiotic is advised if there is infection of the septum. Infection is always associated with pain and swelling of that area with or without fever.

I would suggest you the following:
1. Frequent spraying of the nose with normal saline to keep the mucosa hydrated and moist.
2. Application of saline nasal gel over the affected area to reduce the inflammation.
3. Drink plenty of warm water.

Hope with these above measures you would get better. Revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T