What causes swelling over the mastoid bone?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have tenderness, slight swelling and soreness of the mastoid bone behind both ears, but more significantly on the right side. Recently, I have had two or three small sore spots on my scalp that have developed scabs. No other symptoms, no fever, but I do have chronic sinus drainage and phlegm in my throat.
I recently had a semiannual exam from a dermatologist and no problems were found. Six years ago an MRI of my brain suggested that I had Mastoiditis and I was given antibiotic injection, but no follow up.

i am a 75 yr old male in good health and remain very active through playing tennis, doing aerobic workouts and some moderately strenuous hiking.
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inflammation of the lymph nodes...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

According to your description and thorough understanding of your situation, I do feel, the swellings over the mastoid could be the inflamed lymph nodes.

Usually, the lymph nodes enlarge whenever there is infection or inflammation in the surrounding region. In your situation, the scabs formed over the scalp is mainly responsible for the enlarged and inflamed lymph nodes.

Do not worry! It's a very common problem, with appropriate medicines, it can be taken care of. You would require a course of broad spectrum oral antibiotics for treatment of the same. And, mild pain relievers.

Finally, there is no relation between your sore throat and the mastoid swelling.

Hope I have answered your queries; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon