What causes swelling on tonsil?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my left tonsil has been swollen but pain free for over 2 years. I can feel it when I touch my neck, however it does not hurt at all. Is this cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unilateral enlargement of tonsil for evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Unilateral enlargement of tonsil can be because of chronic tonsil infection, or to tonsillar cyst or carcinoma of tonsil.
All these conditions are painless.
If its acute infection of tonsils, then only it is painful.
There is no Emperical treatment to reduce the size of tonsil until unless it is proved to be cancer of tonsil, need not be worried. The tonsil swelling is cancerous or not , can be detected by a specialist only by clinical examination and biopsy.

So I would advise you to consult with the ENT specialist and get evaluated.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju