What causes swelling on the sternum?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Sir,
I'm 24 yrs old.i noticed some swelling on my sternum(present slightly towards left) size- small pea, 20 days back. It's location on manubrium, nw it reached upto xiphoid process. It is extending...& its size is increased. I consulted doctor.she told me dat...it is cyst. what type of cyst it is? How can it be treated? Is surgery is essential? Or simple draining is enough.kindly answer sir.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get it surgically removed.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

The swelling if it is a cyst as told by your doctor, could be either sebaceous cyst or dermoid cyst.

There are benign swellings and will need surgical excision by a surgeon under antibiotic cover.

Its a opd procedure, done under local anaesthesia.

Dont drain it or rupture it by yourself as there are high risk of kelloid formation at that site.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 15 hours later
Thank you sir.Which Doctor should i Consult?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a surgeon

Detailed Answer:

You need to consult a surgeon. The excision is a minor procedure and can be done either in local anaesthesia or short sedation.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj