• question-icon

What causes swelling on right side of the face under the jaw bone?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, my name is XXXXXXX I started having a problem a day ago while eating. A bit of pain while swallowing basically on right side. As I ate there was more swelling on right side of face under the jaw bone. The swelling was actually fairly hard. Within approximately one hour or less the swelling went down. Appears it is an issue with my salivary gland. The problem has happened today every time I have eaten. I had just eaten an orange and the problem came on again. Swelling went down within half an hour. Can I stimulate the duct in my mouth with a Q-Tip in case duct is plugged?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like blockage in the duct of submandibular salivary gland..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain swelling under the right side of jaw bone that occurs during eating anything and goes down within an hour after the eating is done seems to be most probably due to blockage in the duct of the submandibular salivary gland..
It is one of the major salivary glands present under the jaw..

The duct can get blocked either due to foreign body impaction that is any food particle or can be due to formation of Crystalline stones within the ducts of the glands..
Th stones are formed from the minerals present in the saliva..

Stimulating the duct with the q-tip can help in removal of superficial stone or foreign body but for this you should know the exact location of the obstructing element..

I would therefore suggest you to consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation and investigations like x ray or MRI scan can help in ruling out the exact location of the obstruction and removal can be done accordingly..

As of now you should drink plenty of water and chew sugar free chewing gums as at times superficial obstructions tend to flush out along with the flow of saliva..

Any further queries are welcome..

Hope your query is solved..

Thanks and regards..
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist