What causes swelling on leg?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have CMT and am 71 years old. I have edema really bad in my left leg, from top of thigh to foot. It started about a week ago..I have tried natural remedies and nothing is working. Apple cider vinegar, etc, Can you suggest anything?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Veins problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Swelling of one leg is usually caused by veins problem. If there is pain and calf hardness, veins thrombosis is the most probable reason. If there is swelling only which is less visible in the morning and gets much more visible when standing, veins insufficiency is the most probable reason.
In case of calf pain, you should not wait with it and visit your doctor as soon as possible. D-dimers level should be checked and in case of its elevation, Dopplers veins ultrasound should be done.
If there is no pain, you can schedule a general surgeon consult and have Dopplers veins ultrasound done.

Hope this will help. Feel fee to ask further questions.
Regards.