What causes swelling on left arm after BCG vaccine?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: I have just noticed that there is a lump in my 6 months baby's armpit (left arm). It was not there few days back(15-20 days back). Photo for the same is attached for your reference. Please look into this and let me know what kind of lump is this and what is the treatment?
Answered by Dr. Arun 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be lymph node swelling or abscess

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
After seeing the picture and reading your history that there was a big swelling on left arm after bcg vaccine, the possibility I think is
1. BCG adenitis . Bcg vaccine can cause reactive lymph node swelling which usually happens in the axillary area , like in your child.
Usually if the size is less than 1.5 cm nothing needs to be done, it may settle spontaneously.
But in your child, the size is large and swelling of this size needs surgical aspiration or excision along with 6 months of isoniazid medication once daily.Discuss with your pediatrician about this.
Don't worry, it will settle with this procedure I mentioned .
Wishing him speedy recovery
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Arun 7 hours later
Can you please let me know isoniazid medication (medicine name) which we can use for this?
Answered by Dr. Arun 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ipcazide

Detailed Answer:
For babies you can use ipcazide syrup .
Or any brand of isoniazid tablet like inatos, etc
But this will need prescription for which you need to meet your doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj