What causes swelling on injury site?

Rheumatologist
Question
Hi I work out very hard for my age of 53, I go crossfit 5 days per week and cardio 4 days meaning i
do double workouts 4 days per week, Im very use to this type of training. The other day I played
3 games of outdoor handball for the first time in 8 months, the next day i had plent of pain in my entire right trap, the odd thing is that i had soft swelling under the injuried area, no pain there, ice didnt reduce, i went to a orthopedic he xrayed it and said you dont have anything horrible , it all connected to your injury, why does painless swelling happen under the injury, thank you
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that your orthopedic doctor has rightly told you , if X rays are OK and there is no fracture there is not much to worry , it will be a soft tissue injury .

Swelling happens on the injury site because of the inflammatory signs that happen after the injury to the muscle or tendon . Swelling is one of the cardinal signs of inflammation . I think it will subside of its own within a week . You can take an antiinflammatory like naproxen for the same after consulting your treating doctor .

Dr. Shruti