• question-icon

What causes swelling on glans penis post circumcision

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My son is 1 yr old and was circumsized during exporitory surgery on a vanishing testie 3 weeks ago. Yesterday a purple swelling has developed very locally on the underside of the glans. The shaft is moderatly swolledn. The purple swelling on the glans is like an irregular shap blood bliter but purple
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a localized Paraphimosis .

Detailed Answer:
Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts and photograph that you have posted it appears that your son who has undergone surgery of Circumcision has developed swelling on the under surface of glans penis and to some extent of the shaft of the penis .

This is manly due to collection of serous fluid beneath Scarpas Fascia which is in continuity with subcutaneous plane of scrotum .This is a inflammatory fluid that commonly gets collected in tissue planes after any scrotal surgery .

There is nothing to be worried about it .It will gradually get absorbed spontaneously within few weeks .

You may give him antibiotics and non steroidal anti inflammatory medication as per advice of Pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist