What causes swelling on feet and ankles?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi
I have been experiencing a lot of edema in past several months. mostly in feet and ankles (when it gets very bad it goes up to about mid-calf)
I am 47, overweight (exacerbated by a back fracture, & chronic back issues 2 yrs ago)
I had a full cardio work up (stress test etc) 1 yr ago - everything came back fine (thankfully)
But the swelling - especially when it is very hot & humid, is insufferable.
I had a run-in scare of DVT last year - every symptom - but nothing found
NOW in past month first one and now two small lumps on my L foot -- yesterday some sudden moderate discomfort in my left foot (like a burning sensation coupled with throbbing) while seated and sudden inexplicable bruising started at toe-line & began spreading over my top of my foot. No pain on weight bearing (not any more than normal)
Sorry to "write a book" - any ideas? :) Thank you so very much for your time.
XXXX
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be hypertension leading to edema

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,
I have read your case and it looks to me that your swelling is due to high blood pressure. You have not mentioned if you are taking any blood pressure medicines. I also want to know little detail about your illness before I advise you any thing.
1.Are you also having Diabetes or Hypertension?
2. Does this swelling disappear in morning and increase in evening?
3. Is there any issue related to urination like burning or increase frequency?
4. are you taking any medicines since long time?
Please answer these questions. I will try my best to help you.