What causes swelling on arms after a workout?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello

When I do squats in the gym, my left arm increasingly feels swollen. It actually becomes red from mid forearm to mid bicep. My veins also behin to buldge. When I straighten my arm, the swollen feeling subsides, but my elbow aches for hours and hours.

I'm afraid this is a blood clot. There Is no tingling feeling, nor is there a warm feeling. Just feels swollen. I only get this when my heart rate is elevated. Otherwise I can Bend my elbow and not have the swollen feeling.

Side note: my elbow also pops occasionally. I can pop it if I straighten my elbow. Maybe exercising is causing the elbow to become inflamed?I'd also like to add that about 2 years ago I took a blood test and, at the time, the doctor said I was pretty close to hemophilia than having a clotting issue.
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not due to a clot.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling in the arm that you have after exercise is likely to be due to an increased blood circulation in the area or due to a mild inflammation in the elbow joint. This is not related to a blood clot. Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can give rest to all the elbow movements for 1-2 weeks and the inflammation is likely to subside on its own. Doing a hot fomentation will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal