Owl Image

What causes swelling on ankle?

Owl Image
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Question
I've had issues with my right foot for a few weeks now. I went to the doctor with the outside of my right ankle and top of foot swollen. I couldn't stand to have the upper side outer foot touched with much pressure. They didn't find a fracture but my foot hasn't gotten much better. It's not as tender but still can't place pressure in the above mentioned area of foot. Have had spasms down my last two toes and ankle. My foot feels better when rested and swelling goes down. Then I'm back to working my two jobs and the pains and swelling come back. This morning, I moved my foot in the bath and felt a ' pop ' on the top of my foot. Like you feel when your back 'pops' or your neck. Site is still tender ( as mentioned ) Foot and ankle still swollen. I can bear some weight on my foot for a short period and can walk though sometimes it's painful on the outside of foot where issues started. My last toe has felt funny ( strange ) in the last few days... Bruising I had seems to be clearing up but when I'm active, I've been told it looks darker sometimes. Have had light spams in my ankle since the bathtub incident this morning. When this first began, I couldn't stand to have the bed sheets rub against the area. It's not quite that bad now... I had dropped a plastic bottle of juice on my foot from about 3 feet up prior to this but thought nothing of it at the time. Please help !!
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possibility of gout as per your history and sympt

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case,

I would like to keep possibility of gout as per your history and symptoms.
In gout there is accumulation of uric acid crystals in joint mainly foot. This leads to swelling and redness in foot.
Another differential can be nerve compression leading to tingling and swelling.
Or it can be soft tissue injury due to trauma which is not seen on x ray and may need MRI if remains persistent.
I will advise to do blood inv like complete blood count ,uric acid level, if required EMG –NCV[ nerve study] and MRI spine after clinical examination.

Till time take analgesic and neurotropic like methylcobalamine and pregabalin consulting your doctor.
If gout is confirmed you may need medicine accordingly and diet restriction

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.