What causes swelling on ankle with pain and numbness in calf and foot?

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I had a little more swelling in my left ankle for a couple of weeks then one night woke up with pain in calf and numbness in foot. I didn't get any sleep for two nights so went to the Dr. and saw an NP. She got a very weak pulse and ordered an ultra sound and expressed that she wanted it done the next day or the next. That was Wed. July 3oth. I was told they would call me so when they didn't by Friday, I called and was told they were waiting for ins. approval. I was prescribed Gabapentin which has allowed me to sleep. Pretty much knocks me out and I am not waking up during the night. They finally gave me an ultrasound Monday of this week. The tech could not get a blood pressure on ankle or calf while I was lying down. When I called the Dr. yesterday I was told it would take at least a week or two for the radiologist report. In the meantime, while I am sitting working at my computer, there is only a little pain and a lot of jumping inside my calf. If I am sitting reclined and relaxing, there seems to be nothing. When I am on my feet for just a few minutes the numbness begins and the pain in foot and calf. Since I am still working taking care of the magazine that I publish I am out 3 or 4 hours a day. Since I am getting in and out of the car and even sitting at a clients office, I do pretty well but I have noticed the last few days around 4 or 5 when I get home that both my legs are so weak that I feel bad and have to lie down and sleep.The first day that happened, I checked myself with the little stroke test. I had a mild stroke in 06 and that is the first symptom that I had , extremely weak legs and unusual tiredness. Last night I woke up and realized the outer part of my left ear was in pain. I touched the ear and it was extremely sore then I realized that the spot on my face right beside my ear was sore to the touch. It was ok when I woke up this morning. Besides the stroke, I've had open heart to remove a little growth from a valve and had a stent in the subclavien (sp) artery. 100% blockage. Should I demand more immediate medical attention. Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should not ignore all this.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

You should not ignore all this but in addition to get a doppler ultrasound of the leg to rule out DVT you should also get your morning blood pressure levels, E.C.G done and send me the report. Go to your ER and get all this as early as possible.

Till the reports comes you should wear compression stockings, elevating your leg.

All this prevent a complication called post-thrombotic syndrome and relieve symptoms like pain and swelling.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX I got a call from the nurse today saying that the ultra sound showed blockage like pad and she made a follow up appt. with the Dr. for week after next and told me if I got worse to call them back. I replied that I didn't know how I could get much worse, I am trying to work and can hardly walk or stay on my my feet over 20 minutes. If i am up and down I can make out but if it is extended it just wears me out and I limp.I am not doing much walking at all.
I wanted to ask you about the blood pressure. Can I not just take it in the mornings and what is E.C.G.?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cardiovascular risk is highest in morning.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

I want to clear you my point that, early-morning blood pressure is generally viewed as an important therapeutic target because cardiovascular risk is heightened at this time of day. At the same time as this risk of plaque rupture is greatest. Antihypertensive agents taken once daily in the morning, the timing of the trough plasma drug level, and thereby the lowest pharmacodynamic effect, often coincides with the early morning rise in blood pressure and heart rate.

That is the reason for recording morning blood pressure.

E.C.G-An electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) is a test that checks for problems with the electrical activity of your heart. An EKG translates the heart's electrical activity into line tracings on paper. The spikes and dips in the line tracings camera are called waves.

An electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) is done to:

Check the heart's electrical activity.

I hope you have got your answer.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj