What causes swelling on ankle and joints?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi! My left ankle is swallen fro about a month now. It gets better in the morning and gets worse at night. About 3 days ago I started feeling burning sensation along the side of my lower leg. At the same time my ankle got swallen, multiple hand joints got inflamed. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need blood test to find the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The symptoms you are going through are called polyarthritis that is multiple joint pains.
I would advise you to have blood test for polyarthrits like- serum RA factor, ANA test,Anti CCP antibody test,haemogram and serum uric acid.
Do you have family history of multiple joint pains?

Looking forward to your reply.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 16 minutes later
Thank you for your answer! Yes, I have family history of polyarthritis. My fingers hand joints are getting a little deformed even. Also my hands are swallen and very stiff in the morning. But the ankle has absolutely different type of pain, it gets worse at night and better in the morning, and this burning sensation is bothering me. I live near the woods. Can it be lyme desease?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It does not looks to be lyme disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
After going through the whole discussion and your reply, it is polyarthritis because of autoimmune disorder and not Lyme disease. As Lyme disease has typical rash in the very begining, which is not present in your case and it commonly involves knee joint and rarely affects the knuckle.
As far different behaviour of ankle joint is concerned that may be due to Infection in the joint. Is it warm, tender with painful movement?
Get the blood test done.

Wishing you good health

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 12 minutes later
Thank you Doctor!
Yes my ankle is warm, tender with painful movement
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need antibiotic;may visit a local doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Your ankle needs a physical examination to confirm the cause.Hence; my sincere advice would be to visit a local doctor/ER.He may put you on antibiotics like augmentin along with pain killer.
Hope this helps.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 6 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Get the advised blood test done.If you have further query you may ask do not hesitate or you may please close the present discussion.
Wishing you good health