question-icon

What causes swelling of uvula?

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015
Question: my uvula feels like it is swollen and on the back of my tongue and I don't understand why. I thought it may be allergies but in talking to some people who are non medically certified the mention of strep throat came up because of patches on my tongue.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
A photo of uvula/tongue & following information are needed...

Detailed Answer:

Can you please provide a photo of uvula or/and of your tongue to have a look at the patches myself.

Indeed, the swelling of uvula might be due to:
- inflammation: allergy
- infection: strep throat or other pathogens determined by culture of throat swab

Can you also report if:
- you have sore throat recently?
- having fever or feeling feverish?
- any flu like symptoms recently?

For the moment, I can only advise to:
- gargle with warm water and salt
- take 1 teaspoon of olive oil and honey in the morning
- increase water intake
- apart benadryl, try to use anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or paracetamol

Looking forward to have the requested photo and information in!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini