What causes swelling of the legs and ankles
compression stockings may help
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Swelling of the legs and ankles can be related to liver disease, heart disease, kidney disease , venous disease , trauma or a combination of one or more of these factors.
With liver disease, it may be related to low protein levels or if the enlarged liver is compressing or affecting blood flow from the legs to the heart.
Elevation would help to improve blood flow back to the heart but you can also try compression stockings as well.
The compression stockings would help improve flow back as well.
If her doctor approves, as well, the use of protein may also help.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- My ankle swells and hurts what causes it
- What causes swelling on thighs and legs
- What causes swelling and bruising in ankles
- What causes pain and swelling in legs
- What causes ankles to swell chemo
- What causes indentations and swelling in ankles
- What is the cause and treatment for ankle swelling
- What causes ankle and led edema swelling or inflamation
- What are the causes of swollen legs ankles
- What causes water retention in body causing swelling