What causes swelling of the glands in the neck and chin after eating?
Almost like the Mumps? But about 15 minutes after I eat, the swelling goes away?
It doesn't happen when I drink anything...
Also, my 2 yr old grandaughter had Thrush Last Month (it was treated) but during that time we didnt know she had it and she was drinking out of my straw for water. Could that be possible too?
YYYY@YYYY , YYYY@YYYY
Salivary gland infection, duct blockage from various causes.
* Possible issue with submandibular salivary gland from infection, blockage in the salivary ducts from stone or others. (may be related with straw incidence or not).
* The reason behind swelling after eating is in relation with mastication process promoting the flow of saliva in the glands and due to some sort of obstruction it cannot get released in mouth and swells.
Kindly provide further details so that I can answer your query completely .
1. Any relation of swelling with particular food as pickle or else .
2. Pain, fever if any associated or not.
3. Systemic features of dry mouth, muscle pain, tiredness, itching or others.
4. History of another systemic disease as diabetes or else.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I read that eating a lemon or sour candy can help the saliva push out a stone if that is the problem???
Will it go away on its own?
Or is the next step to see my primary Dr.
Also, I was on Augmentin last month for a dog bite, could that Antibiotic cause Yeast?
If I eat Yogurt will that help, if it is yeast in my throat???
* Primary concern of viral or bacterial infection more likely (candida not likely). Antibiotic may have decreased the immunity to some extent.
* Primary guidelines for better recovery
- Maintain hydration with plenty of liquids.
- Prefer soft, light diet with fresh yoghurt (to help through probiotics).
- Eating lemon, sour candy will not help.
- Avoid more of oily, spicy, hard stuff to be chewed more.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol if using.
- Gargles with salted lukewarm water added peppermint oil 3 times a day.
- Maintain oral hygiene at its best.
* Follow up after 2 days or early as per the requirement to decide further course of action.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Bhagyesh V. Patel, General Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes tightness in neck
- Cause for swelling in neck gland
- What causes spots on neck
- What causes pain in neck near the glands
- What causes swollen glands neck
- What causes headache and soreness in neck after drinking
- What causes neck and axillary swelling
- What causes black neck
- What is the cause of neck pain after sex
- What is the cause for lightheadedness with swelling under neck