What causes swelling of perineum during masturbation?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Noticed perineum swells much more while masturbating than ever in the past. Went through a span where I was masturbating a decent amount, sometimes lengthy 'edging' sessions and coming away from that, my perineum swells when I get erections. Will it go back to normal? If so, how can I insure it does? There is no pain or discomfort other than the feeling of it being swollen. And if I press in on the swollen area, it seems to flush more blood into my erection, seeming as though the swollen perineum is pooling blood... ?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal variant. Relax

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

Since the swelling is present during the time of masturbation, the cause may be due to pooling of venous blood which is quite common and will be back to normal.
Moreover you don't have any symptoms like pain or discomfort which suggest the normal variations. So no need to worry and be relaxed.Quit masturbation for a week and you will experience/observe the same status as before.

If the swelling increases or any discomfort then doppler scanning will help in diagnosis if any pathology. So till then don't worry but needs observation.

I hope this information helps you and answered your questions.
Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply! Maybe somewhat of a related question, but does masturbation play into scrotum skin becoming more loose? And I know there's not much research, but does masturbation also play into acne on the body?

Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
normal variations. masturbation will play its role

Detailed Answer:

I like to take 2nd query first. Acne is directly related to male hormone and also I have seen in my patients with increased acne during teenage with increase in masturbation. Hence increase in acne is directly related to masturbation.

The scrotal skin will keep on varying in size to keep the temperature of testes cooler. So the size will vary and this is normal and also vary with masturbation.

I hope this information helps you and answered your queries.
Feel free to ask for any further information.