What causes swelling of neck on top of collar bone?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: swollen neck seems to be swollen on top of my collar bone. It doesn't hurt but is bothersome.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be lipoma/lymph node swelling

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

The swelling may be due to following causes-

1) lymph node swelling - commonest cause. This could be due to infection from the area it drains . 50% will be painless.
Lymph node swelling could be due to spread of cancer. This possibility is present only if swelling is on left side. They are felt as hard swellings.

2)lipoma- next common. These will be soft painless and XXXXXXX

3)sebaceous cyst - painless and black dot may be seen on summit. Less XXXXXXX

4) Rarely is could be lung cyst.

These can be differetiated by clinical examination. I would suggest you to get examined clinically by a surgeon and plan for ultrasound of the swelling followed by needle biopsy to confirm diagnosis and rule out cancer spread.

Once diagnosis is confirmed removal may be planned.

Hope I have answered your query. If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj