What causes swelling of face, arms and neck after having steroid shot?
Multiple possibilities, need work up
Thank you for asking
I read your question and i understand your concern. Swollen body and generalised edema may not be attributed to short term use of steroids shots. But if you have been on corticosteroids for long then you should get evaluated for cushinggs syndrome as that can explain all these body swelling and weight gains.
Also thyroid hormonal assay, work up for cardiac functions and kidney functions would also be necessary. Weight gain might be simply due to poor diet and lifestyle.
Nutshell its not normal to swell like a ballon and gain weight with no obvious cause. It needs work up and a complete clinical correlation to sort out the possible cause.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
1 to 4 weeks stays in system
Thank you for getting back to me
Epidural steroids injected in neck is usually a mixture of many corticosteroids, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone, triamcinolone, betamethasone and some anesthetics . Average stay of these medications in system combined is 1 to 4 weeks. Variation depends on alot of clearance factors. But their anti inflammatory properties stay there for a few months and one do not need next epidural steroid injection for at least 6 months.
As i mentioned earlier, a single shot or short third time may hardly be a cause of this body swelling but we will know with hormonal assay if it is. Just get to an endocrinologist and let them sort it out for you.
I hope it helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes hives on the neck face and arms
- What causes flushing and short breath after steroid shot
- What causes itching sensation in neck and face after threading
- What causes hives on the neck face and eye lids
- What could cause throbbing in the face neck chest
- What causes neck and axillary swelling
- What causes dark circles pigmentation on the neck and face
- What causes sweating but cold face and neck and headache
- What is the cause for lightheadedness with swelling under neck
- What causes occasional tingling on face and neck