• question-icon

What causes swelling inside the left foot between ankle and arch?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I work on concrete twelve hours a day with very little time to sit down. My legs have been swelling. I recently got new shoes. I have swelling inside of my left foot between ankle and arch. Tightness in muscle or tendon running on outside of lower leg. Elevation doesn't help. Hard to walk barefoot. Tingling and twitching in soleus or Achilles
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rest, ice, compression, elevation, Anti inflammatory Medicine needed

Detailed Answer:
Go there.

It appears that you have possible shoes bite that may have become complicated by an old ankle sprain.

Apply ice to the painful and swollen area.

Take Tablet Diclofenac 75mg twice a day for 5 days after meals and Tablet Ranitidine 150mg twice a day for 5 days before meals.

Avoid climbing stairs or negotiating difficult terrain. You can use an elastic non adhesive crepe bandage bound over your foot and ankle from below upwards and keep the limb elevated. Also do soaks in warm water with added salt.

If your skin is broken or damaged, you can apply Fucidin ointment.

Continue to use your ankle brace for atleast 6 weeks duration after the ankle sprain.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later
There isn't much pain. It is tight in my lower calf but not painful. There is some pain in my arch. I've never had a problem walking barefoot but I am now. Rest and elevation don't seem to help. The calf muscle is twitchy but not painful like a charley horse. It feels best when lying flat. Worse when elevated or lowered..swelling between ankle and arch but kinda looks like a band all the way around. No pain from pressure. Tightness in yours when I try to raise them or stand on them
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs heat, healthy diet, time

Detailed Answer:
In that case, you shall be benefited with application of warm wet cloth to the painful region. You can take the medication for pain relief and anti inflammatory effect as well. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Keep well hydrated. This shall prevent Electrolyte disturbance such can cause similar symptoms.

Hope it helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later
okay the swelling is now mild but in a band around my ankle, interior and exterior. stiff calf and shin muscles not painful but still hats to walk right bc of the stiffness.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Short lived stiffness

Detailed Answer:
Things stiffness shall take about 5 days to settle and you should feel fine in no time.

Avoid uncomfortable footwear.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon