What causes swelling in throat leading to uncontrollable swallowing?

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 14 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i am having problem in my throat like swelling. i am too restless while laying down at night time. one thing is keeps on happening to me that my throat is forcing me to uncontrollable swallowing even though there is nothing in my mouth. i can control this uncontrollable swallowing happening to me and when this thing happens my soft palate block my airway and i start choking because of throat tightness and to release this tightness sometime i have to shake my head or suck on my saliva to return to breathing.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having post nasal discharge.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for query .

I have read your query & understand your concern.

After reading your query it appears that you most probably having thick allergic post nasal discharge .It cause throat problem your are having .

If I am your treating doctor for this case I would advice you use salt water gargle twice daily ,
Saline nasal spray or rinse twice daily ,
Antihistamine tablet at night and
continue antibiotic as instructed..

You will get relief .

If relief is not upto satisfaction level , you will need to go through investigation like endoscopy of upper GIT.

Hope this information useful to you .

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 21 minutes later
Why my upper soft palate is forcing my throat to continued swallowing and while that continued swallowing i feel like my soft palate and throat is taking pressure and blocking airflow and then i have to open my mouth and suck on saliva to continue breathing and feel normal or sometime i need to shake my head to remove pressure and blockage on throat and soft palate to breathe normally. But the process keeps on repeating itself out of my control.
Why this is happening. What is cure for this?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Because thick stick post nasal discharge is difficult to clear & swallow.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query .

Because thick stick post nasal discharge is difficult to clear & swallow . During swallowing soft palate block airway so that any thing in throat should not overflow up into airway .

Thick stick post nasal discharge (PND) causes blocking of airway as well as swallowing passage . This PND is produce in nose & sinuses .

To cure it , you will need to use salt water gargle twice daily ,
Saline nasal spray or rinse twice daily to thin this discharge .

Antihistamine tablet at night and antibiotic to decrease production .

You will get relief .

Regards.